Vehicle to Public
Over 50% of EU population lives in apartments which leaves EVs to be parked at on or off-street parking. SCALE will implement and test ecosystems of smart charging and V2X that will help municipalities and parking operators to manage energy demand, relieve local congestion, and support reducing peak loads. The call for a ‘right to plug’ in apartments and non-residential buildings increase the importance of charging infrastructure which is capable of reducing the need for grid reinforcements.
EV chargers in the Oslo University parking lot to be retrofitted with smart charging feature
40-50 chargers converted from static- to dynamic chargers
- Reduce cost for charging through smart charging (avoiding peak loads) while delivering enough power in time.
- Profitable business case for the owner of the parking places.
- Couple the EV smart charging and building energy management system with open interface to enable dynamic load balancing.
Hungary - 14 locations
V2X and smartcharging combined with PV installation & stationary storage at a large-scale shopping centers
120 charging points with variable load, two V2X chargers
- Reduce grid dependency by creating a green micro grid, aggregating the PV generation and energy consumption.
- Execute multi-location demand-side & load-management.
- Increase ‘plug-in’ rate through a loyalty program, motivating customers to utilize smart and preferred charging behavior.
Public – Overarching
This use case is set-up to prove the potential when V2X services are scaled. In Utrecht, a bi-directional ecosystem is created that supports power system stability, prevents grid reinforcements costs and lowers the peak load of the power system. The entire fleet of V2G cars is owned by a professional entity, this enables easy bundling and intelligent charging management. The V2G chargers are also available to ‘normal’ on street parking and are able to charge non-V2X ready cars as well.
Bi-directional ecosystem via combined V2G service from large car sharing program (500 cars and 3.000 chargers) under a single owning entity
500 V2G capable cars and 3000 V2G capable charging points, delivering congestion management
- Construct an operational Virtual Power Plant.
- Execute mix of congestion management, Time of Use price arbitrage, demand charge reduction, and increase flexibility on the grid via FCR/AFRR.
- Find the potential flexibility capacity that V2G car sharing programs can deliver to the grid and what individually distributed low power chargers can offer in flexibility.
- Prevent customer lock-in and competition lock-out by using open standards and protocols.